February 01, 2007

Adventures in Dyeing (Part 2 of 3)

Also known as Before, During and After

Remember The Knot? That took about 4 hours (approximately 5 episodes of Buffy the Vampire, Season 5) to get out. As a kid, my friends and I were really into Cats Cradle - remember that? A shoelace = hours of entertainment, and I was always really good at getting the obligatory knots out. Now I know why!

After the knot was removed, I finished winding around my chairs, then I tied the yarn every 30 inches or so just to keep it together, and did different (see orange above) colours where the colour changes should go.

Then I dunked it in warm water:










Put the requisite sections in the Kool-Aid water, and zapped for 2 minutes, let it rest for 2 minutes and then zapped for 2 minutes again (all on high).










Once it was cooled, I rinsed again:










You can probably see from the photo that I have unintentially ended up with a tie-die effect. Now, if this was all one colour, I might have left it, but after spreading to dry, I think I'm going to re-dye the whitish parts so that they're as dark as the rest. I'm really happy with the teal and purple though, it's taking all my willpower not to start knitting with it!

Sock Madness

Have you heard about this? Those that know me would quickly agree that "competitiveness" is high on my list of attributes. Whether this is a flaw or an asset is a subject for debate. All I know is that competition + knitting??? Yes please!

3 comments:

Jen said...

ehrm....is this caroline's blog? as in Danielle's friend Caroline??

I'm sure this sounds crazy...

Jen said...

Those are such great colors together!

Jen said...

Mmmm pretty yarn. And why are all the commenters named Jen?