February 11, 2008

Bill's Durrow

I've noticed that knitters often refer to themselves as either "process" knitters, or "product" knitters. Process knitters are typically eager to learn new techniques, and often bore of a project way before completion, once the process has been mastered. Product knitters are more geared towards the reward of a finished item.

If I was asked to describe the type of knitter that I am, I would probably have sat on the fence. I love knitting, the relaxation it brings, and the joy of seeing the project emerge (and to know there's not another one like it in the world) is awesome. However, my friends could count on one hand the number of times they've seen me in handknits (other than socks). I have tons of projects on the needles, and tons more in my Ravelry queue - and I think I've finally figured out why. I'm not a huge spender on yarn. The money I spend loosely comes out of my clothing budget. After all, knitting's meant to result in clothes, right? BUT I think I'm scared that the finished product, even done to the best of my ability, either won't fit right, won't fit as I imagined it, or I won't like it.

That's why knitting for other people is great. I knit my husband Chris a Durrow pre-blog. He wears it quite a lot through our snowy, chilly winters, something I'm very glad to see. He even wears it to work, so I take it that it must meet some level of stylish. But he has to (in a way), he's my husband, and he asked for the sweater, so now it's done, there's definitely some obligation there.

However, our friend Bill saw the sweater, and wanted one of his own. His wife Michelle (my best friend from high school) came and picked the colour with me, and it really flew off the needles once I got around to starting it. I think a lot of that had to do with the fact I knew what the finished product would look like.

The only alteration I made to the pattern was to change the arm cable. On the left, the original Durrow cable (Chris'), and on the right, a simple braid cable (Bill's).

The colour in the above is pretty accurate. It's called Brown Heather, and that's an accurate name for it.

And some full shots (colour not as accurate, but taken during the daylight so the contrast is better).
Pattern: Durrow by Jodi Green
Yarn: 8 skeins of Mary Maxim Starlette, colour Brown Heather
Needles: 5mm straights for the body and sleeves, 4.5mm circular for the neck.
Started: December 2007
Finished: February 2008


Bill, I hope you enjoy (and don't feel obligated to wear it)!

1 comment:

LiseBise said...

I am so a process knitter. I too only finish what's meant for others. So what? I love testing new stitch combos. new techniques. But I get bored with anything longer than 2 days worth of knitting. Unless. of course,it's for someone.

so, for me, it's swatches, which I am now (after years of kniting) knitting to one size so eventually, I can assemble into a blanket or something.

Otherwise, I knit for others... but without their knowledge. So, no broken hearts, just a lot of really pleasant surprises.