March 18, 2008

Sock Madness Returns!

Which gave me the perfect incentive to finish off my Monkeys, which have been languishing on the needles for far too long. Here they are though, and I love them!


Pattern: Monkey Socks by Cookie A.
Needles: 2.5mm nickel-plated DPNs (my weapon of choice)
Yarn: Tofutsies, colour 798 I think

The yarn is a combination of wool, silk, cotton and chitin (made from shrimp and crab shells!), and the colour as I started made me think of shrimp. Towards the end, however, they reminded me of Fuzzy Peach candy in line with my crazy cravings :)

So Thursday afternoon saw the release of the first pattern for Sock Madness 2. I love this competition! All the participants are so supportive of each other, even though we are in direct competition, with questions about the pattern, what makes things easier etc. Such a fantastic community, us knitters! This year, instead of being paired off, everything is being done as a speed round. For Round 1, the first 40 finished in each division will move onto Round 2. As I write, there are still a lot of folks finishing up their socks, and spaces still remain in each division.

Mine were done relatively quickly, although I didn't pull any crazy all-nighters (I'm saving those for later):


Pattern: Zombie Socks by Emmie (probably available after the competition, if it's anything like last year - check the Sock Madness site for more details)
Needles: 2.5mm nickel-plated DPNs
Yarn: KnitPicks Gloss in Burgandy.

LOVE this yarn. (Despite it's requirement for handwash/dry flat.) It was so smooth to knit with, I fully enjoyed just watching the yarn flow itself into socks. Will definitely be using it again. For now, I'm off to relax my hands in preparation for Round 2!

No comments: