May 01, 2008

You guessed it...

More socks!

Round 5 of Sock Madness was definitely the most stressful so far! The pattern was released at 7:15am on Sunday morning, which for a lot of folks probably meant a long day of uninterrupted knitting time. For me, I got a lot done during the day, but also had to chase Little Miss Chloe around. Also, there were a few issues with the written pattern and the charts giving different information.

I did what I could on Sunday, went to bed at 10pm pretty sure I'd be out of the competition by Monday morning, as there were only 3 from each round that would make it through. As luck would have it, only 1 had finished by the time I left for work. While at work, I refreshed that Flickr page at least a million times (probably not as much of an overstatement as one would think), and it was almost worse that I wasn't knocked out quickly!

My awesome colleagues let me knit for an hour during an afternoon discussion meeting, and at roughly 9pm I had these:


Pattern: Hippy Ripply Retro Socks by Helen Darmara
Yarn: KnitPicks Felici in Arugula
Needles: Trusty 2.5mm DPNs

This pattern included a figure-8 cast-on and a Japanese short-row heel. The fantastic thing about this competition, and I think I've mentioned it before, is that it forces you to try things you wouldn't otherwise. I think I've knit every pair of socks (with the exception of maybe one) top down, so I knew I'd be slower than most once we got a toe-up pair. The toe wasn't too bad, and the Japanese short-row heel is definitely scarier than it looks:


Yup, that's 22 safety pins instead of wraps. I wish I'd taken a better picture of the heels, because I think this is the neatest short-row heel I've ever done.

As I was saying, by 9pm I was finished, posted and crossed my fingers. Turns out I was the last person, in the last division to qualify. Talk about sneaking in! This weekend we have off, as it's the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. Am I going? I wish. I hope my daughters turn into complete yarnaholics like their mother, and we can start an annual tradition. Not this year though! Pattern 6 is set for release next Friday, which coincides with my last day at work - yippee!

In other knitting news, I've finished the back for Reid. I love this pattern, love the yarn (Patons' Grace). Highly entertaining. The best part is, I'm doing the size 2, as I have heard that it comes out a little on the large size. If it happens to be too small for my 2 1/2 year old, I can hang onto it for Baby. No worries!
I wonder if I can at least get a front done before Friday...

No comments: