August 05, 2008

Wrapped in Care

I've begun work on my shawl for the Wrapped in Care project I blogged about a few weeks ago. I decided to do the Luna Moth Shawl, free pattern here, in Red Heart Luster Sheen. I've done 4 out of 6.5 repeats, which seems like a lot but adding 4 stitches every second row makes it get slower and s l o w e r and s l o w e r!


I try to stay away from 100% acrylic, but the folks heading up the project stated that the shawls had to be easy-care. For those of you who have made shawls, you'll know that many of the laceweight yarns on the market require you to reblock the shawl each time it's washed, and it's usually washed by hand. This isn't very "easy-care"! I also read about this cool way to block acrylic, so it actually keeps it's shape. If this works, I may have another go at blocking Curlique!

It is actually a light #2 weight, I wanted this shawl to be a little heavier than a laceweight and so far I'm really pleased with it:


An idea popped into my head recently, and I just had to see if it would work. You know when you finish a pair of socks, and seem to have too much yarn left to simply throw away? Especially if it was one of those lovely hand-painted but not-exactly-cheap yarns out there? Well, I thought there must be a way to use up those leftovers! Then, the idea of my spiral stripey socks hit me:


Unusual construction - cuff and leg worked in the round, then the top of the foot back and forth (so you don't waste the contrast yarn by having to carry it all the way around the sole), then the toe, sole and heel. The sole is knitted together with the foot on the way back, and the only seam is a kitchener seam from the top of the heel to the bottom of the leg. This used less than 10g of the red variegated contrast yarn for each sock!

Here's a close up of the side of the foot - a pretty seamless seam!

No comments: